1. FinishingA finishing nailer is used to do precise work such as assembling furniture. The nails that are used in it are comparatively smaller than what a framing nailer uses. You can find it helpful in completing many jobs in or around the house.
2. BradBrad is another nailer that uses nails with tiny heads that can be used for hanging woodwork around window or door frames.
3. FramingIf you are looking for a general purpose nail gun, a framing nailer would be the best choice. It supports nails with standard-size heads that can be used for building a deck, framing a door, a window or a whole room.
4. RoofingRoofing nail guns are mostly used by commercial workers. Theyarecomparatively heavy-duty and build to work with just roofs(installing roof nails precisely and efficiently) You also need to consider the power source for the nail gun also matters a lot if you want to use it conveniently in or out of the house. There are basically three power sources that you will normally find in a nail gun, and you must choose the right one according to your needs.
Battery / Electric PoweredFor small nail guns such as brad nailers, the primary power source is a battery that can also be recharged. However, if you are looking for heavy-duty work, battery-powered nailers aren’t the best choice as they quickly run out of juice.
Combustion PoweredThis is a nail gun that is built to perform tough jobs and it is not the one that you would normally find in general residential use. It is mostly used in commercial work that is done outdoor, such as home building, or roofing. As you might guess the word combustion means that its powered by gas and works similarly to the combustion engine in a car.
PneumaticFor most of the people,pneumatic nail gun would work more than fine as it provides an amazing blend of power and usefulness. A pneumatic nailer usually requires an air compressor to work, which is not typically included in the package (you can buy it separately too as it will also help you in several other projects – see our reviews). Keeping these features in mind, here are our reviews of some of the best nail guns available:
Where to Buy
The best nail gun to use in and around the house that is capable ofdoing both small and large projects needs to be long-lasting and able to drive a nail efficiently without any problem. The DEWALT DWFP12231 fulfill these requirements effectively. You don’t need to worry about jamming issues with this nailer as it comes with a tool-free jam release mechanism for easy nail removal.
- No jamming issues
- Great for handling both large and small projects
- Comes from a well-known brand that supplies many power tools
- Maintenance-free motor
- Needs an air compressor to work
It best works on large projects because of its power, you can also find it great to use in the house if you can deal with the sound of an air compressor (get a noiseless air compressor to eliminate this issue)
The Porter-Cable PCC790LA is one of the best brad nailers,which is also listed as an amazon’s top choice.With this cordless nail gun, you will not need to spend your money onan expensive air compressor or gas cartridges. Youalso don’t need to worry about the usual jamming issue as PCC790LA works great in eliminating it with the help of a tool-free jam lever for easy nail removal.If you are looking for a portable and easy-to-use nail gun for both small and long projects then Porter-Cable PCC790LA can be your best buy.
- Depth adjustment and jam lever are tool-free
- Cordless working enhances portability and usability
- Battery powered- You would not need to buy an air compressor for it
- Weight centered near the handle so you can work effortlessly without hand fatigue
- Long lasting charge- 1300 nails per charge
- Not powerful enough to handle heavy-duty projects
- Doesn’t come with a case
If you are going to work on small projects that do not require more power, or looking for a portable nailer that you can carry anywhere easily, then this brad nailer is a great option.You may have large and small projects that you need a nail gun. TheHitachi NR90AES1 works well for both types. It has a pneumatic power source that providessufficient power to perform heavy duty jobs which does mean it requires an air compressor. The rubber grip and lightweight design ensure that you work smoothly without any fatigue.
- Comfortable to use because of its well-engineered design
- Faster and easier disassembly process
- Great value for the price
- Requires an air compressor
- You may experience jamming issues
It is best for assembling purposes such as decks, tables, chairs, window or door frames etc.If keeping in the budget is really important then consider the WEN 61720 brad nailer. It’s very budget friendly and also provides quality results. It is able to fire a brass fastener (brad) that is3/4 to 2 inch in size. Unlike other budget-friendly brad nail guns,the WEN 61720 requires an air compressor to operate. Its attachment with an air compressor provides enough power to drive the nail deep into even a tough material.
- Supplies more power than other budgeted nail guns
- The ergonomic rubber grip enhances the comfort level
- Very light-weight
- Requires an air compressor
This nail gun is good for beginners who are looking to perform small or large DIY projects. It has sufficient power to handle most of the jobs such as handling wood frames and similar projects.
Conclusion:The nail guns mentionedabove all belong to different categories, so you can choose the best one according to your needs and budget. However, if you are looking for a heavy duty nail gun then it is recommended that you consider DEWALT DWFP12231 Pneumatic 18-Gauge 2-Inch Brad Nailer Kit, but if you want spend less without compromising on the quality then you can get WEN 61720 18-Gauge Brad Nailer.