Decks add value to your home and are great places to sit and hang out with friends and family. They also make your home feel larger, and you can easily sit out there and relax outside your home.
People who want to add a little something extra to their home that can be used year-round often start thinking about deck installation for their Rhode Island house. When people consider this, the most frequently asked question is how much will it cost? Like with any inquiry regarding cost, it depends on many things: the size of the deck, building materials, and extras to boost efficiency. Some decking materials require virtually no upkeep but are more expensive. However, the more inexpensive materials may look great but require a lot of maintenance, such as daily cleaning and resealing to prevent rot. For more information regarding your deck installation, visit website.
The current national average to build a deck is between $3,580 and $10,122, depending on the above factors. The good news is that typically, you can expect to recoup roughly 70% of your investment on a new wood deck installation if you sell your Rhode Island house.
Some people may have looked into building a new deck in 2020 and now notice that the prices have increased about 18%. Several factors contribute to the price increase, such as:
- The cost of materials has increased since the pandemic
- Due to the current shortage of workers, permits take longer and are harder to get.
- Labor has stayed the same for many years and has increased slightly this year.
What Can You Expect To Pay When Having A New Deck Installed in RI?
The size of your RI deck installation will be where most of your price comes in. The overall cost is based on the size of your deck, so the smaller the deck, the less expensive it is. Specific add ons such as hot tubs, grilling areas, entertainment areas, and a gazebo also increase overall costs.
Decking material can range between $24-$50 per square foot. The three most common choices of materials are.
- Wood – pressure-treated wood costs between $18-$23 per square foot plus $2.00-$5.00 for decking boards
- Composite – this type of material is made of recycled or reclaimed materials with polyethylene, plastic, or PVC mixed with wood fiber, rice hulls, or other fillers blended with chemical additives. Composite material costs between $36.00-$44.00 per square foot and $12.00-$22.00 for decking board.
- Plastic – plastic costs the same as a composite material.
- How much does it cost to build a 12×12 deck? This size of the deck installation in RI can run between $2,400-$13,500 with an average cost of $6,600. The square footage cost can run from $18.00-$89.00 per square foot, depending on the deck’s features. Wood decks are the least expensive, with plastic or composite being the most costly.
- How much does it cost for the installation of a 14×20 deck? Depending on the type of material, you can expect to pay between $4,200-$15,000; including labor and materials. You can expect to pay anywhere from $18.00-$89.00 per square foot, depending on the design and features you want to be included.
- How much does it cost to install a 20×20 deck? Depending on materials, you can expect to pay between $6,500 to $18,000 and $18.00-$89.00 per square foot. Cost can go up depending on the features you want to be included.
Your decking needs a foundation to raise it off the ground. There are three main types to choose from.
- Wood is the least expensive but doesn’t last as long as steel or aluminum. You can expect to pay between $700-$1,600 for materials depending on the size of your deck.
Both steel and aluminum will cost more to install; they will last longer than wood. A 200×500 square foot deck can run between $1,600 and $5,700.
- Integrated lighting
- Built-in areas such as benches, grilling areas, gazebo, etc.
- Do you want your deck to be covered or uncovered?
- Does there need to be additional support for heavier items?
- Is there skirting underneath the deck?
- How high does the deck need to be?
- Is it attached to the house?
- What type of finish do you want? Painting, staining?
Is it Less Expensive to Build a Deck or Patio?
Yes, building a patio is usually less expensive than installing a deck in RI. Patios are made from less costly materials such as stamped concrete or stone instead of common deck materials like wood or composite. Patio’s don’t take as long to build, keeping labor costs down. Most of the time, you don’t have to worry about buying permits or inspections. Another benefit of patios is that they have a longer lifespan, don’t have weight restrictions, and don’t require as much upkeep as decks. However, deck installation in RI adds more value to your home than a patio, and you get a higher ROI.
How Can I Make Building a Deck Less Expensive?
There are many ways you can make your deck installation in RI cost less. First, instead of choosing integrated lighting, you can purchase other types of light on your own. Many people use solar lights to cut down energy costs and save money on the deck itself. Instead of having covered areas, you can purchase seating and covered tables.
Doing it yourself is a way to save a lot of money. The only cost you’ll have to pay is materials and options because you’ll do the labor and installation yourself. The average price should run you roughly $12.00 to $18.00 per square foot. This does vary depending on the type of material you choose. However, it’s important to know that you won’t have a warranty on the finished deck but only on the materials.
If you have some free weekends, are good with power tools, and don’t mind getting dirty, this could be a great choice to save money.
After Installing Your New Deck In RI, It’s Time To Use It!
Deck installation in Rhode Island enhances the looks of your home and gives you a great place to gather with family and friends. It also provides a great way to relax outdoors and enjoy the fresh air. Whether you build it yourself or hire a contractor, you can find a deck within your budget.