As the people are getting more advanced in terms of work, they are also opting for helping hands in form of power tools. Earlier people depended on manual tools such as manual wrenches, screwdrivers, hand saws, etc., no doubt they are still in use but are slowly getting replaced by power tools offered by different brands. In this article, we will discuss top 5 power tool brands in detail, so you could know better about the company before using their products.
These brands are listed in no specific order because they all differ from each other product to product. However, all the brands mentioned are selected by carefully analyzing their features, checking their products quality and reviewing customer feedback.
Makita is a well-renowned brand that has factories all over the globe. Due to their popularity and quality products, they have a number of people out there who are their devoted buyers. Makita was first founded in 1915 in Japan as an Electric Motor Sales and Repair Company which later in 1958 became the first ever company to manufacture and sell portable electric planers. In just over a half century, Makita was successful in building a strong reputation as a manufacturer of power tools. Today, you can find almost every product by Makita that is essential in housing construction.
Makita’s headquarters is located in Anjo, Aichi Prefecture, Japan. However, the items are also manufactured in Germany, China, UK, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico, Romania and the United States. The company manufactures, imports and distributes cordless electric-power, petrol-powered, and air-powered tools along with an extensive variety of accessories and spare parts. In 1969, Makita introduced the first rechargeable power tool, the 6500D battery-powered drill. In 1978, they manufactured the first nickel-cadmium battery tool, the 6010D re-chargeable drill.
Their annual sales were equivalent to $2.9 billion by 2012. Most tools you will find made by the company will be in a blue and black color scheme that also distinguishes them out of many other brands.
Let’s talk about a major concern when it comes to cordless power tools, the POWER. Makita works great in providing optimum battery life by designing a computerized feature in their power tools to maximize efficiency, that will help you get almost 0% downtime with their batteries. Makita focused on building strong products and introduced a communication technology known as Star Protection Computer Controls. This technology comes built-in in many power tools and batteries that enables them to monitor conditions and exchange data in real time. In simple words, the technology helps maximize tool quality by ensuring overload protection, overheat protection, and discharge protection. Another aspect that distinguishes Makita from other brands is their catalog. They offer a wide spread of power range, for instance, you can get a few volts corded or cordless drills to as high as 18 volts drills.
When choosing a power tool brand, the top-most thing to consider is the customer service. Makita also impresses in this part as their support team response-time is great and they also prove to really back up their warranty.
No matter you are a professional who wants to use power tools for business purposes or a DIY hobbyist who is looking to accomplish small or large projects, Makita is one of the best power tools brands to consider.
- Offers a vast variety of products
- Fast battery charging time (offers 18V battery)
- They always focus on bringing out new products to make life easier
- Available worldwide
- Strong warranty and customer service
- Doesn’t adapt industry trends quickly
- A vast variety of products with hard-to-identify differences
Top power tools offered by them
- Makita CT322W 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Compact Cordless 3-Pc. Combo Kit
- Makita XT704 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 7-PC. Combo Kit (3.0Ah)
- Makita SH02R1 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Circular Saw Kit
- Makita XSR01PT 18V X2 LXT Lithium-Ion (36V) Brushless Cordless Rear Handle 7-1/4″ Circular Saw Kit
- Makita XSR01Z 18V X2 LXT Lithium-Ion (36V) Brushless Cordless Rear Handle 7-1/4″ Circular Saw, Tool Only
- Makita XWT08Z LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless High Torque Square Drive Impact Wrench
- Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- Makita XPH12Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2″ Hammer Driver-Drill
How can we not mention DeWalt when talking about the best power tool brands? You might know about the products manufactured by DeWalt but if you are not familiar with the inside story then let’s get to know about them in detail. DeWalt’s founding director, Raymond DeWalt, invested his lifetime around mills and construction sites after following the footsteps of his father. While working in a factory, he was highly concerned about the safety of his co-workers. His determination for the safety of his co-workers led him to set up special machines that provided more safety for him and his colleagues.
After this huge step, he was promoted to a managerial position in that factory where he noticed another problem, which was the demand of his bosses to increase the production and all that without any increase in the salaries. Men under his supervision worked more for less. Raymond DeWalt also solved this problem by designing a saw that enabled his men to be more productive without doing too much hard work.
When DeWalt identified his gift for innovations, he designed and manufactured the first ever Radial Arms Machine. After some progress, in 1924, he opened a plant in Leola, Pennsylvania where he created his first major product, “Wonder-Worker”, an electric woodworking machine.
In 1947, the company became DeWalt Inc. In 1953, the company expanded into Canada. With the increase in popularity and advancement in technology during the 60’s and 70’s, DeWalt Inc. introduced several new products such as grinders and metal cutting machines. These remarkable products laid the foundation for the development of power tools. In 1992, the company introduced a revolutionary line of power tools and accessories including screwdrivers, a selection of drills, flashlights, impact wrenches and many others. By the turn of the century, the company was already manufacturing over 200 electric power tools and more than 800 accessories.
DeWalt is recognized by its yellow and black color scheme. The company has a wide range of products that are unstoppable as they are still coming up with more and more products. They are revolutionizing themselves in one of the most demanded voltages in power tools, the 20V max product line. These 20V Max products are a combination of ergonomic designs, durable brushless motors, and high-capacity Li-Ion battery packs.
From 1922 to 2018, the company has undergone a lot of establishments and achievements. They also acquired many companies and become a part of Black and Decker (U.S) Inc., a subsidiary of Stanley Black and Decker.
- Great tools with ergonomic designs
- An expanding 20V Max power tools lineup
- They produce high-quality drills and impact tools
- Also manufactures many 60V Max and 120V Max tools and technologies
- Extraordinary support team services
- DeWalt tools seem to have an average lifespan of 10 years
Top power tools offered by them
- DEWALT DCK240C2 20v Lithium Drill Driver/Impact Combo Kit
- DEWALT DCK421D2 20V MAX Lithium-Ion 4-Tool Combo Kit
- DEWALT DCS391B 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion Circular Saw
- DEWALT DCBL720B 20V Lithium-Ion XR Brushless Blower
- DEWALT DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- DEWALT DCN692B 20V Max XR Brushless Dual Speed Nailer
- DEWALT DCS350B 20V MAX Baretool Cordless Threaded Rod Cutter
Milwaukee is a manufacturer of leading tools that have shown excellence and commitment in providing quality and affordability. Only a few people are familiar with the surprising history of this company which all started from the end of the World War 1. In 1918, when the World War 1 was finally winding down, Henry Ford, the person who is famous for pioneering in the automotive industry was searching for a compact and light-weight version of a 1 ¼ inch capacity power drill. Within a crowd, a young and talented manufacturer in Wisconsin named A.H Petersen stepped out and accepted Ford’s challenge. Hole-Shooter was the outcome of that challenge which was a 5-pound fledging power tool run by a Westinghouse motor. It was first ever industrial tool to weigh this less to be operated using a single hand only.
After the success of Hole-Shooter, Petersen brought in a business partner, Albert F. Siebert and they together laid the foundation of A.H Petersen Company. Unfortunately, in 1923, their manufacturing unit was destroyed when it caught fire which caused them severe financial loses, they both didn’t have any other option than closing up the shop. In 1924, when the company’s few remaining assets were being auctioned publically, Siebert took the opportunity and acquired them to reopen the company, renaming it the Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation. At First, the company’s income was heavily-based on tool repairing, seeing the defects and lacking in the tools, the engineering staff knew everything about what was needed to be tweaked and designed in order to manufacture better tools that made them able to bring out many new power tools as the time marched on.
Now, with the production of a number of tools, the company has become a synonym for high-quality products. Milwaukee is known for its bright red color scheme. They have been producing unmatched products because of their understanding regarding the latest market trends and changing requirements. M12, M28, and M18 series are the proofs of it which are known for their speed, torque, power, and durability.
- Produces great quality, durable and reliable products
- One of the bests 18V-class lineup (M18 series)
- Amazing 12V-class lineup (M12 Series)
- Excellent LED work light selection
- Innovation according to the market trends
- Milwaukee’s 18V battery pack isn’t much sufficient to run next-generation high-powered cordless power tools
- Most of their products come only with a 5-year warranty
Top power tools offered by them
- Milwaukee 2691-22 18-Volt Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit
- Milwaukee 2457-21 3/8-in Cordless M12 Lithium-Ion Ratchet Kit
- Milwaukee 2696-24 M18 Cordless Compact Combo Tool Kit
- Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit (5-Tool)
- Milwaukee 2401-20 M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/4 in. Hex Screwdriver
- Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 Cordless 3/8″ Sub-Compact 35 ft-Lbs 250 RPM Ratchet w/ Variable Speed Trigger
- Milwaukee 2625-20 M18 18-Volt Hackzall Cordless One-Handed Reciprocating Saw
- Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench with Friction Ring
4. Porter Cable
Porter-cable is an American company that got its name from two brothers Raymond E. Porter, George G. Porter and Frank E. Cable back in 1906. Porter-cable was first a machine shop and their first product was an Electric Pencil Sharpener. For the next four decades, porter-cable sold various versions of horizontal-vertical milling which was their own invention.
In 1914, the company was purchased by J.R Ridings but according to the patents, George G. Porter still remained with the business for several years. In 1919, they were making metal lathes, and the following year they extended to a whole new level and started manufacturing portable power tools. In 1922, when porter-cable acquired Syracuse Sander Manufacturing Company, which were the manufacturers of stationary belt sanders and spindle sanders. With the acquisition of this company, Sanders remained Porter-Cable’s most successful product line in their early years.
Cutting long story short, Porter-Cable was sold and acquired by many companies from its start till 2004 when it was finally purchased by Black and Decker (subsidiary of Stanley Black and Decker) from Pentair Inc.
In 2013, they launched a new line of 20V Max power tools that used the lithium-ion batteries for great performance. Porter-Cable is known for manufacturing power tools and devices that can conveniently be carried to the job site without worrying about downtime at work. The main focus of Porter-Cable is to develop high-end but low-cost power tools that can stand out in performance and durability among other top power tools.
Porter-Cable and DeWalt, both are a part of the same company (Stanley Black and Decker) but manufactured with different trademarks, so if you are a fan of either one, you can get the power tool from any of these two according to your requirements.
- Manufactures affordable products
- Designs the best ergonomic tools with a palm-perfect fit
- Produces 20V powerful power tools
- An ideal choice for both professionals and DIYers
- Their power tools provide excellent battery life
- Also compatible with DeWalt batteries
- Not recommended for heavy-duty work
Top power tools offered by them
- PORTER-CABLE PCCK619L8 20V MAX Lithium Ion 8-Tool Combo Kit
- PORTER-CABLE PCCK619L2 20V 2-Tool Brushless Combo Kit
- PORTER-CABLE PCC650B 20-volt MAX Lithium Bare Jigsaw
- PORTER-CABLE PCC670B 20-volt MAX Lithium Bare Reciprocating Tigersaw
- PORTER-CABLE PCC790B 20V MAX Lithium 18GA Brad Nailer
- PORTER-CABLE PC1500HG 1500-Watt Heat Gun
- PORTER-CABLE PCC740B 1/2″ Cordless Impact Wrench
Hitachi was founded by a Japanese electrical engineer Namihei Odaira in 1910 in Ibaraki Prefecture. The first ever product manufactured by the company was a 5HP induction motor that was used for copper mining. Soon after its success, the company became the domestic leader in electric power industry infrastructure and electric motors. Their name also has a meaning, “Hi” means sun and “Tachi” means rise.
After the company’s progressive success, Hitachi Power Tools U.S.A was created in 1980 to manufacture a line of tools in the United States. This power tool company gained success back then in the 80’s for their high-quality Pneumatic framing nailer and sliding compound miter saws.
Hitachi has never disappointed in the field of technology and innovations because they invest proper time and resources in developing durable power tools. Their dedication to product development made them able to achieve a lot of success and new inventions. Some of their inventions include the sliding compound miter saw, cordless impact driver, collated automatic screwdriver, pneumatic concrete nailer, cordless screwdriver, metal stud cutter, portable rebar cutter/bender, 10-minute rapid charger, Ni-cad batteries of various voltages, and the list goes on. These power tools coupled with Hitachi Koki’s high-speed motor technology, electronic control, and precision processing, allow the company to produce faster, heavy-duty and durable products for all the professionals out there.
The company has also recognized itself under ISO 9000 series international standards for quality assurance. Hitachi Koki manufactures more than 1000 models of electric power tools. In 1994, Hitachi Power Tools USA was renamed Hitachi Koki U.S.A, Ltd.
Since the start of their power tools journey, they have always focused on producing some of the finest power tools for almost every field of work. Hitachi Koki also purchased the Tanaka Power Equipment that manufactured two-stroke commercial grade outdoor power equipment solutions for landscapers, construction professionals, property managers, and utility professionals.
If you are looking for a brand that never compromises on quality and never stops impressing then Hitachi must be on your list.
- Produces a wide range of power tools
- Strong brand name
- Manufacturing some amazing 18V power tools in recent years
- Also manufactures several electric commercial/residential appliances and motors
- You won’t find a lot of options other than the core tools
Top power tools offered by them
- Hitachi DB3DL2 Power Cordless Screwdriver Kit, 3.6V 1.5Ah Lithium Ion Battery – 2, Dual Position, LED Light, Lifetime Tool Warranty
- Hitachi KC18DG6LPA 18V Cordless Combo Kit (6 Piece)
- Hitachi KC10DFL2 12-Volt Peak Cordless Lithium-Ion Driver Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit (Lifetime Tool Warranty)
- Hitachi C10FCG 15-Amp 10″ Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- Hitachi WH18DGL 18-Volt 1/4-Inch Cordless Lithium-Ion Impact Driver Kit (Lifetime Tool Warranty)
- Hitachi RB24EAP Gas Powered Leaf Blower, Handheld, Lightweight, 23.9cc 2 Cycle Engine, Class-Leading 441 CFM, 170 MPH, Commercial Grade, 7 Year Warranty
Things to look for in a power tool brand
A strong brand is identified by some key points that distinguish them from other brands. All the above-mentioned brands are listed by keeping in mind the following things:
No matter how good the products a brand offers, at some point, the experience will matter a lot. The longer the manufacturer is in the business, the more experienced it will be which is directly proportional to the attention/details a manufactured product gets. We would all select the brand that has been into the race for the longest period because over the time it must have attained a certain level of brand improvements.
No one likes a company that keeps on manufacturing the same product over and over without modifying it according to the market trends and changing requirements. With the passage of time, many brands are bringing innovations in their power tools by introducing computerized technology. For instance, Makita is using a smart feature known as Star Protection Computer Controls in their power tools and devices for better power handling. When picking up power tools it is much better to go with a brand that utilizes future attributes in their tools because such brands keep up with the revolutionizing world in a much better way.
Without power, a power tool would completely be useless. Each and every world’s leading power tool brand tries to bring something more powerful than ever in the market with a strong battery life and high-quality performance. Power tools used to have cadmium batteries which are now replaced by Li-Ion batteries with a 7V, 10V, 12V, 14V, 18V or higher output. Opt for a brand that has the widest range of voltages so you can easily choose the one according to your requirements.
Reliability is extremely important when you are expensive buying power tools. A power tool offered by a brand must be reliable enough that if a major or minor breakdown occurs, it can easily be repaired rather than lie around among other un-repairable tools back in the garage. Most power tool brands offer lifelong or 5 to 10-year warranty in case the product gets damaged.
Brands that state “Lifetime warranty” or “1million-years warranty” must be capable enough of providing responsive customer care in case of post-purchase requests or complaints. A leading power tool brand is the one that backs up its customers with a strong support team.
A well-renowned power tool brand is known for its products. The more stand-alone products a brand offers, the more versatile they are. The best power tool brand must have a wide range of top-notch products on the market to stand out from other brands.